The Bloomfield Information Project is seeking a community member with a passion for local news and civic engagement to support our public service journalism lab as a Civic Info Producer. Apply by July 30.
In this part-time role, you will work closely with our project coordinator to aggregate, curate, and redistribute local news and information that helps Bloomfield residents get informed, engaged, and connected. You’ll help produce our award-winning Daily Bulletin and support the development of new community news infrastructure.
You should consider applying if:
- You live in Essex County, New Jersey.
- You’re able to distill a variety of topics into a conversational and easy-to-understand language – like writing headlines, summaries, or social media posts.
- You’re confident working with or learning digital tools like Google Sheets, MailChimp, WordPress, Facebook, Instagram, CrowdTangle, and RSS feeds.
- You’re thorough and detail-oriented and believe local news, and civic engagement is critical to the success of our community.
What you’ll do
As the Bloomfield Information Project’s Civic Info Producer, you will:
- Aggregate, review, and summarize local news and social media posts daily and on deadline.
- Maintain and update news and information directories.
- Curate content for our newsletter, website, and social media channels.
- Support special projects with research, administration, and reporting.
Who we’re looking for
Here’s what we’re looking for in an ideal candidate:
- Understanding of and commitment to the Bloomfield Information Project’s values, mission, and vision.
- Strong news judgment skills, with an ability to identify what information matters and why.
- Excellent time-management skills and an ability to work on deadline.
- Clear communicator who can effectively take direction and give feedback.
- Experience producing newsletters or other digital media.
More about the role and compensation
Here’s what else you should know:
- $20 per hour with a minimum of 12 hours per week, maximum of 20.
- Begin with 35 hours of paid sick leave.
- Our newsletter production schedules require you to review and aggregate content for 2 hours daily, Sunday through Thursday, to support newsletter production – otherwise, you set your own schedule.
- Work from anywhere but stay in touch via Slack and Zoom.
- A work tools stipend is available.
- This role is a one-year contract with opportunities for renewal depending on the success of future fundraising efforts.
How to apply
About the Bloomfield Information Project
The Bloomfield Information Project is the nationally recognized public service journalism lab developing a new model for community-driven local news and information. Since our launch amid the pandemic, we’ve worked with more than a dozen community members on special projects to inform and engage their neighbors, delivered more than 4,000 news summaries through our award-winning Daily Bulletin, and distributed more than 2,400 cloth mask to community members most likely to share news by word of mouth.